Doing Business in Panama
EENI - Business School
Learning unit: International trade and business in Panama.
The Canal. Syllabus:
- Introduction to Panama (Central America).
- The Panamanian Economy
- International trade.
- Business in Panama City.
- The Panama Canal.
- Cases study:
- The City of Knowledge.
- The Colon Free Zone.
- Set-up a company in Panama.
- Introduction to Spanish
- Access to the Panamanian market
- Business plan for Panama.
Sample of the learning unit - Doing business in Panama
Course learning materials: or Panama
Learning unit summary (Doing Business in Panama)
The Republic of Panama
- Capital: Panama City
- Population: 3,6 millions
- Area: 75,517 km2
- Currency: Balboa and USD
- Official language: Spanish
- Religion in Panama: Christianity
Catholicism (3 million) and Protestants).
The Panamanian Economy
- The main pillars of the economy of the Republic of Panama (America) are:
The Panama Canal, Banking and Financial services and the
Colon Free trade Zone (biggest duty-free zone in the Americas)
- The Colon Free Zone is the 2th biggest
Duty Free Trade Zone of the world (2.500 enterprises, 27.347 employments, 16.160 million dollars in imports and re-exports (international trade).
- The Panama Canal (80 kilometers between the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans, 8 to 10 hours to transit) is implementing an important modernization program
of 1 billion dollar, generating big business opportunities
The International trade of Panama
- Exports of Panama: 821 million dollar. Main export
products: salmon, tuna, beef, watermelon, shrimp, and pineapples.
- Top Export partners of Panama (as % of total export value): the United States 42%, the People's Republic of China and Taiwan 5.3%, Costa Rica 7.3%, Sweden 5.4%, Netherlands 6.5%, Spain 6.2%.
- Top Import partners of Panama: the United States 29%, Costa Rica 5.2%, Mexico 4.5%, China 4.2%, Japan 3.6%.
Panama: Organizations and trade agreements:
- The Central American integration system (SICA)
- The Central American Common Market
- Panama has Free Trade Agreements with
- The Latin American and Caribbean economic System (SELA)
- The Association of Caribbean States (ACS)
Canada - Panama Agreement:
Agreement Panama Taiwan:
Agreement Panama Singapore: