Doing Business in Panama. The Canal. Investing
EENI - America
Learning unit summary (Doing Business in Panama)
The main pillars of the economy of the Republic of Panama are:
The Panama Canal, Banking and Financial services and the
Colon Free trade Zone (biggest duty-free zone in the Americas)
- The Panama Canal (80 kilometers between the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans,
8 to 10 hours to transit) is implementing an important modernization program
of 1 billion dollar, generating big business opportunities
- The Colon Free Zone is the 2th biggest
Duty Free Trade Zone of the world (2.500 enterprises, 27.347 employments, 16.160 million dollars in imports and re-exports (international trade).
Examples Doing business in Panama
International trade of Panama
- Exports of Panama: 821 million dollar. Main export
products: salmon, tuna, beef,
watermelon, shrimp, and pineapples.
- Top Export partners of Panama (as % of total export value): United States 42%,
People's Republic of China and Taiwan 5.3%,
Costa Rica 7.3%, Sweden 5.4%, Netherlands 6.5%, Spain 6.2%.
- Top Import partners of Panama: United states 29%, Costa Rica 5.2%, Mexico 4.5%,
China 4.2%, Japan 3.6%.
Introduction to Spanish Language