Sub-subject: Algiers (Algeria) - Lagos (Nigeria) Corridor/Trans-Saharan Highway
- Introduction to the Algiers-Lagos Corridor (or Trans-Saharan Highway or Trans-African Highway)
- The main features of the Algiers-Lagos Corridor
- Access to five African markets of North and West Africa: Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Mali, and Tunisia.
Sample of the sub-subject: Algiers-Lagos Trans-Saharan Highway
Sub-Subject Description (Algiers-Lagos Corridor).
The Algiers-Lagos Trans-African Highway, also named the Trans-Saharan Highway (4.504 kilometres), links:
- North Africa: Algeria (2.106 kilometres) and Tunisia, with
- West Africa: Niger (655 kilometres), Nigeria (1.193 kilometres) and Mali
Key features of the Trans-Saharan Transport
- Countries: Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Mali, and Tunisia.
- Chad is also in the area of influence of this corridor.
- The main languages in the region of the corridor: Arabic, English, and French.
- The largest religion in the region: Islam
- The main cities in the Trans-Saharan Highway: Algiers, Ghardaia, Tamanrasset, In Guezzam, Arlit (Frontier Algeria/Niger), Agadez, Zinder, Kano, Oyo, Ibadan, Lagos.
- Paved: 85%
Trans-Saharan Highway links with other African corridors:
- In Algiers (Algeria) with Cairo-Dakar Trans-African Highway
- In Kano (Nigeria) with the Dakar-N’Djamena corridor (Trans-Sahelian Highway)
- In Lagos (Nigeria) with the Lagos-Mombasa corridor
- In Lagos (Nigeria) with the Dakar-Lagos corridor and the Lagos-Mombasa corridor.
- Tunisia (Tunis) - Algeria (Gabes - Hazoua - Ghardaia) link (800 kilometres) is a feeder of the Algiers-Lagos Trans-African Highway
- Algeria (Tamanrasset) - Mali (Gao - Bamako) -2.226 kilometres- is also considered as a
feeder of the Algiers-Lagos Trans-African Highway
The largest ports in the region of the Trans-Saharan Highway:
- Port of Lagos (Nigeria)
- Tunisian Ports (Feeder)
- Port of Algiers
Trans-Saharan Highway belongs to the African Civilisation.
- West African Economic Area
- Maghrebian Economic Area
Regional Economic Communities (REC):
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD)
- Arab Maghreb Union (AMU)
- West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)