Ports of Algeria (Algiers, Oran)
EENI - Business School.
Sub-subject: Ports of Algiers and Oran (Algeria):
- Algerian ports
- Port of Algiers
- Port of Oran
- Algerian road network
Sample of the Sub-subject: Ports of Algeria:
Sub-Subject Description: Algerian ports.
The largest ports of Algeria
are Algiers, Annaba, Oran, Beni Saf, Cherchell, Dellys, Djen Djen, Ghazaouet, Mostaganem, Skikda, and Tenes.
Port of Algiers:
- The Port of Algiers is the first commercial Algerian port.
- The Port of Algiers handles the 33% of the Algerian foreign trade.
- Hinterland of the Port of Algiers covers the centre, East centre and West centre of Algeria
- The Algerian petroleum companies located at the South of Algeria can access to the Port.
- Location: Northwestern part of Algeria, in the Bay of Algiers (Mediterranean Sea).
- Approved in 1998, the Container Terminal covers an area of 30.3 hectares. It has two berths with a draft of 9 to 11 metres.
- Container Terminal is operated by the company DPWORLD (United Arab Emirates) since 2009 under concession
- Warehousing area: 282,000 m² (120,000 tonnes of goods)
- The average monthly volume landed is 800,000 tonnes
- There are nine access doors to the port of Algiers.
- There are three posts for tankers berthing at the pier No. 37 for loading and unloading of petroleum tankers.
- Feeder services from Spain (Valencia and Barcelona), France (Marseille)
- The main cities near the Port of Algiers: Chief, Tiaret, Ain Oussera, Blida; Tizi Ouzou, Djelfa, Bou Saada, M'Sila, Bordj Bou Arreidj, Ghardaia, Ouargla, and Hassi Messaoud
Areas of the Port of Algiers:
- North Zone: Bounded by the fishery and the Harbour Master -
Capitainerie- (Docks 5 to 11)
- Centre Zone: Bounded by the dry docks and the Container Terminal (Docks 16-25)
- South Zone: Bounded by the Container Terminal and the East breakwater (Pier 30 to 37)
Port of Oran:
- Location of the Port of Oran (Wahran): the West of Algeria (Mediterranean Sea).
- Managed by the Port Authority of Oran (ENTREPRISE PORTUAIRE D'ORAN)
- Near engaged shipping lines linking the Northwest of Europe to Suez Canal
- 200 kilometres from Spain
- At the midpoint between the Strait of Gibraltar and the Port of Algiers.
- East entrance channel has a length of 150 metres and a deep of 25 metres.
- 24 commercial berths
- Railways: Oran-Tlélat, Oran-Alger, and Oran-Béchar
Algerian road network:
- Roads: 112,696 kilometres
- Highways: 29,820 kilometres. East-West Highway (1,216 kilometres)
- Cairo-Algeria-Dakar Trans-African Highway.
- Algiers-Lagos Corridor:
Algeria, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, and Tunisia
- Algerian Railway network: 10,500 kilometres. Managed by the National Rail
Case Study: the transport sector in Algeria.
Ports of Algeria belongs to the Maghrebian Economic Area (Islamic Civilisation
and African Civilisation).
Maritime Transport in Africa - Maghrebian Ports