- The State of Rio do Janeiro.
- The Economy of Rio do Janeiro. International trade..
- Strategic Sectors in Rio: Energy, ITC, Creative Industries, Hospitality, Industry.
- Olympic and Paralympic Games, Rio 2016.
- Business opportunities in Rio: Petrochemical, Steel, Energy, Tourism, Logistics, Shipbuilding.
- Case study: Petrobras. The Porto Maravilha Project. The Au Port Complex - EBX Group.
Courses and Masters
Course business in South America - Master America
Course learning materials
Rio do Janeiro is the capital of the State of Rio do Janeiro, is the 2th biggest city of Brazil (6.3 million people), and the 3th biggest
metropolitan area in South America.
- Rio do Janeiro is the 4th richest city in Latin America (behind
Sao Paulo and
- Rio do Janeiro represents the 2th biggest Gross domestic product (GDP) in Brazil
(30th biggest in the world in 2008)
- Rio do Janeiro holds the 1st position in Latin America in attracting
Foreign direct investment (FDI)
- Rio do Janeiro rates 2th in Brazil in industrial production and 2th financial and
- Top sectors of the economy of
Rio do Janeiro are: processed foods, chemicals, petroleum products, pharmaceuticals,
metal products, ships, textiles, clothing and furniture.
- The state of Rio de Janeiro is the biggest oil manufacturer of Brazil and one of
the major steel producers.
- Rio do Janeiro is the headquarters of 2 major companies
of Brazil (Petrobras and Vale). 50% of BOVESPA's market capitalization is from companies
whose headquarters are in Rio de Janeiro.
- Rio de Janeiro is an important
logistics hub of Brazil
(5 ports and 3 airports).
- Major entertainment and media
companies are placed in Rio do Janeiro.
- Major international pharmaceutical companies have their Brazilian
headquarters in Rio do Janeiro.
Example of the course doing business in Rio do Janeiro:
For the next 6 years Rio do Janeiro will host some major world events: FIFA World Cup; in 2015, Rio's 450th birthday;
in 2016, the Olympic and Para Olympic Games.
Petrobras is the leader in the oil industry of Brazil, they have
expanded their operations aiming to be among the top 5 integrated energy
Companies in the world by 2020. The
2010-14 business plan foresees investments in the order of 174 billion USD. Petrobras is the 3th biggest energy company in the world.