Subject (Course): The Niger Basin Authority (NBA) - West Africa. Syllabus:
- Introduction to the Niger Basin Authority (NBA)
- Statutory organs of the Niger Basin Authority
- Socio-economic profile of the Niger Basin region
Objectives of the subject “Authority of the Niger Basin” are to:
- Understand the aims of the Authority of the Niger Basin
- Know the socio-economic profile in the region of the Niger Basin
Sample of the subject - Niger Basin Authority (NBA)
Subject Description: Niger Basin Authority (NBA).
In 1963 entry into force the Niger Basin Commission agreement. In 1980 was renamed to the Niger Basin Authority.
Today the Niger Basin Authority is a regional institution formed by nine countries of West Africa and Central Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Niger, and Nigeria.
The main objective of the Niger Basin Authority is to encourage economic promotion
between Member countries, mainly in the management of the water resources of the Niger River. The Shared Vision of the Niger Basin reflects the mission of this organisation.
- The estimated basin population: 150 millions of people (2015)
- The total population in the Niger Basin Authority countries: 295 millions of people.
- All of them are Less Developed Countries
- The main language: French, except Nigeria (English)
- The main religions: Islam and Christianity.
- Headquarters: Niamey (Niger)
Logistics in the Niger Basin region:
- Trans-Sahelian Highway
- Tripoli-Windhoek Corridor
- Lagos-Mombasa Corridor
- Algiers-Lagos Corridor
- N’Djamena-Djibouti Corridor
- Dakar-Lagos Corridor
- Port of Cotonou
- Port of Douala
- Port of Abidjan
- Port of Lagos
Countries of the Niger Basin Authority belongs to different Regional Economic Communities (REC):
- West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)
- West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ)
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS)
- Mano River Union (MRU)
- Economic and Monetary Community of Central Africa (CEMAC)
- Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD)
The Niger Basin Authority belongs to the African Civilisation.
- West African Economic Area
- Central African Economic Area