Focus of the Professional Master in Business in Emerging and Frontier Markets
Master's Program in Business in Emerging and Frontier Markets (Distance learning)
focuses on analysing for each of these countries...
1. Country information: how to do business, international trade, investment flows (FDI), transport and logistics, customs, Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), and regional economic organisations.
2. Economic Area. Each of these countries tends to be one of the main economies in the economic zone to which it belongs:
African economic area. The African economic area has eleven frontier markets located in several economic areas:
- Economic Area of West Africa. Nigeria is Africa's largest economy. Both Ghana and Ivory Coast are two frontier markets and fast-growing economies.
- Economic Area of Central Africa. Angola, the largest regional economic power with huge petroleum resources, is considered an African frontier market.
- Economic Area of Southern Africa. Zambia, the largest exporter of copper and cobalt in Africa, is also a frontier market.
- Economic Area of East Africa. There are four frontier markets in East Africa: Ethiopia (headquarters of the African Union), Kenya (the largest regional economy), Uganda (strong economic growth, in particular of the information technologies), and Tanzania (exporter of gold, coffee, cotton)
- Economic Area of the Maghreb. Both Algeria (half of the African petroleum production) and Morocco (strategic location:
Europe-Maghreb- Sub-Saharan Africa) are also considered frontiers markets
Arab economic area. In the Middle East, Kuwait (significant petroleum reserve and investments abroad) and the United Arab Emirates (with a
GDP per capita similar to European countries) are considered frontier markets.
Latin American economic area. In South America, Argentina is considered a frontier market and Chile as an emerging market. In the Andean region, Colombia (the fourth Latin American economy and strong growth
in FDI), Ecuador (the eighth Latin American economy, substantial petroleum resources) and Peru (highly consolidated food industry, open towards the Asia-Pacific region) are considered emerging markets.
Asian economic space. Three frontier markets and nine emerging
markets are analysed in the Master:
- Eurasian Economic Area: Both Kazakhstan (strategic location between Russia, China, and India-Silk Road, substantial petroleum resources) and Pakistan (textile and automotive sectors, regional
leader in Central Asia, high political uncertainty) are considered frontier markets, while Iran (economic and political leader of Shi’a
Islam, process of opening to the West) and Bangladesh (strategic position India-China-ASEAN, important textile sector) are considered emerging markets.
- ASEAN. In the region of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) only exist one frontier market: Vietnam (economic reforms, 21st world's largest economy in 2025) and five emerging markets: the Philippines (one of the world's fastest growing economies in Asia and the only Asian country with a Catholic majority), Indonesia (the country with the largest Muslim population in the world, one of the biggest economies in Southeast Asia), Malaysia (an economy based on the export of the manufactured goods and one of the most competitive countries in the world), Singapore (the second most competitive economy in the world, one of the least corrupt countries, large presence of multinational) and Thailand (important automotive sector, electronics, appliances, health. Strategic location to access the region Greater Mekong and Southeast Asia)
- Buddhist Economic Area. Furthermore, two countries with
Buddhist majorities: South Korea (the thirteenth world economy and fourth in Asia, world leader in shipbuilding, semiconductors, construction, electronics, automotive) and Taiwan (the seventeenth
largest economy, third currency reserves in the world, 69% of Taiwan's GDP is generated by services, stabilisation of relations with the People's Republic of China) are considered as emerging
European Economic Area. Both Serbia (Orthodox economic space, privileged location between Europe and Asia) and Turkey (the Customs Union with the European Union, strong industrial production. In 2023, the Turkish
agricultural sector will be one of the top five global producers. Access to the Central Asian markets) are considered as emerging markets. Both
countries have requested access to the European Union.
For each of these economic areas the features of each of the nations that comprise it, its economic relations with other countries of their economic space, as well as the largest economic integration agreement and organisations will be discussed.
Paths of the Master in Business
in Emerging and Frontier Markets
Master Emergentes Master Emergentes.