Sub-subject - The Eastern Catholic Churches: Ethics and Business (Christianity). Syllabus:
- Introduction to the Eastern Catholic Churches
- The Maronite Catholic Church.
- Case Study: Carlos Slim (Mexico)
- The Chaldean Catholic Church of Babylon (Chaldeans).
- Case Study: Nadhmi Shakir Auchi (Iraq, the United Kingdom)
- The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church
- The Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
- The Melkite Greek Catholic Church
Sample of the Sub-subject: Eastern Catholic Churches
Sub-Subject Description (Eastern Catholic Churches).
- As we have discussed, Catholicism is composed of different churches in the various regions, keeping all of them a “sacred link” based on the communion of faith, the Sacraments as well as the Leadership of the Church of Rome.
- Therefore, it is said that the Bishops of these churches “maintains the
hierarchical communion” with the Bishop of Rome.
- That is, these churches retain their hierarchy, organisation, and rituals but also recognised as the highest spiritual authority of the Pope of Rome.
- Canonically, each Eastern Catholic Church is “sui iuris” or autonomous with respect on other Catholic Churches.
- Theologically, all these churches are considered “sister Churches,” according to Vatican Decree on the Eastern Catholic Churches.
The Chaldean Catholic Church of Babylon
The Eastern Catholic Churches represent a small percentage of the overall
Catholic Church compared to the Latin rite, which has more than 1 billion members.
The CNEWA estimated that Syriac Christians make up 47% of Eastern Catholics, and Byzantine Christians make up 46%.
The three most important churches are the Eastern Byzantine Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church with 4.3 million (25%), the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church with 3.9 million (23%), and the Maronite Catholic Church with 3,3 million (20%).
- The Greek Catholic Church of Ukraine belongs to the Eastern Catholic churches and thus is in full communion with the Holy See. The primate is the Major Archbishop of Kyiv-Halych and all Russia. In her liturgy used Ukrainian language. Currently, the Greek Catholic Church of Ukraine has between three and five million followers in Ukraine. Globally, there are between 6
and 10 million followers.
- The Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (India)
is one of the twenty-two Eastern Catholic Churches in full communion with Rome.
It is the second-largest Eastern Catholic Church after the Ukrainian church with about 4.6 million believers. It is a church's own right (“sui juris”) governed by a synod of bishops, headed by Archbishop
- The Melkite Greek Catholic Church is an Eastern Catholic Church in full communion with the Holy See.
There are about 1.6
million followers. The traditional language of worship is Arabic and Greek.
The Eastern Catholic Churches belongs to the Arab Economic Area.
Religions and Ethics