Introduction to China
EENI - Business School.
Sub-subject: Introduction to China. Economic profile of Chinese
- Introduction to People's Republic of China
- History of China.
- China's Geography: rivers, mountains, climate...
- Chinese population.
- Main ethnic groups in China. The Han.
- Chinese Government.
- Ministry of Finance and Commerce.
- Administrative division of China.
- Provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities.
- Economic profile of the major Chinese provinces.
- Major cities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Chongqing.
Religions in China.
- Mahayana Buddhism
Sub-subject description - Economic profile of Chinese provinces
The People's Republic of China is the third biggest
nation in the World.
- Chinese population: 1,369,000 people (the most populous country)
- Capital of China is Beijing
- Most important city for business is Shanghai (24.2 million
- Area: 9,596,961 sq km
- Main language of China is Mandarin Chinese. Other languages
Cantonese Chinese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Uyghur and Chuang
- Type of government: State socialist (market economy)
- China has two Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong
- Borders of China: Mongolia, Russia, North Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, South Korea and Macau.
- China shares sea borders with South Korea, the Philippines, Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan.
- China's currency: the Renminbi (CNY)
- Abolition of slavery in China: 1910
- Major religions in China: Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism and Christianity
- China is the Central state of the Sinic Civilization but may also belongs to the Buddhist Civilization
The People's Republic of China is a nation with a very early Civilization and a long
history. The ancient Chinese has invented: the compass, gunpowder, the art of paper-making
or block printing. The Great Wall or the Grand Canal built by the Chinese people are regarded as engineering
achievement of all the times.
The People's Republic of China is divided into provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities. A province or an autonomous region is subdivided into autonomous prefectures, counties, autonomous counties and /or
cities. A county or an autonomous county is subdivided into townships, ethnic
townships and/or towns.
Total population in the mainland of the People's Republic of China (PRC)
amounted to 1,369,350,000. The natural growth rate of population was - 0.1 per thousand in Beijing and it was - 1.35 per thousand in Shanghai.
The People's Republic of China is a tied multi-ethnic nation (56 ethnic Groups).
The majority ethnic group in China is the Han (91.6%). The 55 ethnic
Groups of the People's Republic of China are referred to as ethnic minorities.
China's major economic areas.
In the vast China we can define three major geographical and economic
- Gulf of Bohai, with the Beijing-Tianjin axis and its area of economic influence (Liaoning, Shandong, Hebei...)
- Yangtze River Delta, with its large center in Shanghai and its area of economic influence (Jiangsu, Zhejiang...)
- Pearl River Delta, in the province of Guangdong (Special Economic Zones of Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai) as the main axis.
The five major geographical areas.
From another point of view, the Chinese market can be divided into five
- East China, with Shanghai as the center. Shanghai is the most
populous city in China and also has, with a catchment area that includes
the provinces of Zhejiang (Hangzhou), Jiangsu (Nanjing) and Anhui (Hefei).
- South of China, with Guangdong as the center.
- The large market in the Southwest, with Sichuan as the center.
- The market of Northeast China, with Harbin as the center.
- The North market with Beijing as the center. Tianjin is the input port of Beijing, Qingdao is the input port of Shandong and Dalian of Liaoning Province.
Chinese economy - China ports - Customs of China - FDI China