Greater Pearl River Delta
EENI - Business School.
Sub-subject: The Greater Pearl River Delta: Hong
Kong, Guangdong, Macau. Syllabus:
- Introduction to the region of the Greater Pearl River Delta (China).
- The economy and international trade of the Greater Pearl River
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the region.
- Advantages: High-end processes in Hong Kong, production base in the Mainland.
- Economic Profile of the main cities in the Greater Pearl River Delta:
- Case Study:
- TCL Corporation.
- Midea Group.
- Hisense Kelon Electrical.
- Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA China Hong Kong).
- CEPA’s Impact on the Hong Kong economy (Trade in Services).
Sample of the Sub-subject: Greater Pearl River Delta:
Sub-Subject Description - The Greater Pearl River Delta:
The region of the Greater Pearl River Delta comprises Hong Kong, nine municipalities of the Guangdong Province (mainland of the People's
Republic of China) and Macau (Special Administrative Region of China).
High-end processes in Hong Kong and their production base in the Mainland.
- Many global companies are set-up activities in the region of the Greater
Pearl River Delta, taking profit of the benefits of this
multi-jurisdiction and cost-efficient business model.
- Companies situated in the Greater Pearl River Delta can source or manufacture competitively in the People's Republic of China and use logistical, financial, legal, design and marketing services of Hong Kong to export their products to the global market.
- Many foreign enterprises use Hong Kong and the Greater Pearl River Delta as their distribution base for selling
goods and services
into the People's Republic of China.
- About 59,000 companies in Hong Kong have their industrial units
in the Mainland, of which 53,000 factories are in
Guangdong Province (a cluster in the Pearl River Delta).
- Hong Kong is one of the largest recipients and suppliers of foreign
direct investment in the World and is the single biggest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the Mainland.
- Guangdong, as the province enjoying the biggest share of FDI of Mainland, is becoming
an ideal place
- Pearl River Delta Economic Zone is the leading exporter and importer among the major regions of the Mainland.
Nine municipalities of the Mainland:
Zhuhai City (Southern Guangdong) is one of the earliest special economic
areas in the People's Republic of China and the new and hi-tech industrial: electronics, computer software, biotechnology and pharmacy,
machinery, and equipment as well as petrochemical industries.
Foshan City is the third biggest manufacturing base in the Pearl
River Delta. The main sectors are Household electrical appliance and tool manufacturing, Furniture, Non-metal ore and manufacturing, electronics and communications, Stainless steel products, Plastic products, Ceramics.
Dongguan City is situated in the Pearl River Delta of Guangdong Province, and the middle of the Guangzhou - Shenzhen - Hong Kong Economic Corridor.
Dongguan is not only a modern Information Technology City but also
an internationally reputed manufacturing center.
Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA)
- Signed by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government and the Central People's Government, CEPA
marks a new era of economic cooperation between Hong Kong and the mainland of China.
- Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement entry into force in 2004.
- Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement
allows preferential access to the Chinese Mainland market and reduces tariffs for some enterprises and individuals operating in Hong Kong.
- Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement opens up large markets for Hong Kong export products and services.
- All export products of Hong Kong origin importing into the Chinese Mainland benefit from tariff
- Under the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement, service suppliers in Hong Kong
benefit from preferential treatment.
Chinese economy - China ports - Customs of China - Investment in China - Beijing - Shanghai