Subject (Course): Economy and Foreign Trade of Central America.
Panama, Guatemala. Syllabus:
- The Central America region: Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.
- The Central American Economy.
- International Trade of Central America
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Central America.
- The Central American Integration System (SICA)
Subject objectives “The economy of Central America”:
- To know the economic profile of the Central American countries
- To analyse the strengths and trends of the Central American Economy
- To evaluate the Central American foreign trade and direct investment flows.
- To understanding the role of the Central American Integration System in the region
Sample of the subject “The Central American economy”
Subject Description: Central America - Economy and Foreign Trade:
The region of Central America is composed of Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.
Owing to the recent political and economic integration in Central America (the Central American Common Market, the Central American Integration System (SICA), the CARICOM) in this analysis we include the Dominican Republic, geographically linked to the Caribbean, but economically
linked with Central America.
All these countries belong to the Latin American Economic Area of the Western Christian Civilisation.
The Central American economy (the sum of the economies of all countries in the region), represents the sixth biggest economy in Latin America (after Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, and Peru).
The total international trade in products between Central America markets and the rest of the world has been developed very positively in recent years.
- The United States is the main trade partner of Central America (31.6% of the total exports of the region and the 33.4% of the total imports).
- Four export products (coffee, bananas, integrated circuits, and parts for machines)
stand for 25.1% of the total exports to the world.
- Largest imports countries of Central America countries are the United States and South America (Brazil, the Republic of Colombia, Venezuela, and Argentina).
- The Central American Common Market (MCCA) is the second-largest trading partner of the Central American countries (29.4% of exports and 12.7% of imports)
The Central American region has a population of 41,739
millions of people, and an area of 522,760 square kilometres (1% of the World area).
Country (Capital) - Population (in million)
- Belize (Belmopan): 322,100
- Costa Rica (San Jose): 4,579
- El Salvador (San Salvador): 7,185,218
- Guatemala (Guatemala City): 14,027
- Honduras (Tegucigalpa): 7,466
- Nicaragua (Managua) 5,743
- Panama (Panama City): 3,454