Subject (Course): International Trade and Doing Business in Cambodia - Phnom Penh. Syllabus:
- Introduction to the Kingdom of Cambodia (Southeast Asia).
- Cambodian Economy
- Doing Business in Phnom Penh
- Cambodian international trade.
- Sihanoukville Autonomous Port
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Cambodia.
- Case Study:
- Special Economic Zones in Cambodia-Phnom Penh SEZ.
- Importing into Cambodia.
- Royal Group - Kith Meng
- Business Opportunities in Cambodia:
- Access to the Cambodian Market
- Business Plan for Cambodia
Aims of the subject “Doing Business in the Kingdom of Cambodia”:
- To analyse the Cambodian economy and foreign trade
- To evaluate business opportunities in Cambodia
- To explore Cambodia's trade relations with the student's country
- To know Cambodia's Free Trade Agreements
- To examine the profile of Cambodian businesspeople and companies
- To develop a business plan for the Cambodian Market
Sample of the subject - Doing Business in Cambodia:
Subject Description (Doing Business in Cambodia).
The Kingdom of Cambodia is situated in South-east Asia, sharing
borders with Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam.
- 90% of the population of Cambodia
is ethnically Khmer.
- The capital, Phnom Penh (2 millions of people) is the economic and political centre of Cambodia.
- Type of Government: Unitary Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Monarch of Cambodia: Norodom Sihamoni
- Independence: 1953 (from France)
- Area: 181,035 square kilometres
- Cambodian population: 15.5 millions of people
- The official language of Cambodia: Khmer. French is also spoken.
Theravada Buddhism is the religion of 95% of the population (38 million).
Cambodia belongs to the Buddhist Civilisation
- Cambodia is a member of the ASEAN
- Cambodia has accomplished high
economic growth (average of 9.4% annually).
- The manufacturing production is focused on the garment sector, these products dominate exports of Cambodia, especially to the United States.
- The Cambodian service sector is strongly concentrated in commerce activities and catering-related services.
- The Royal Government of Cambodia has approved twenty-one Special Economic Zones situated along the border with Thailand and Vietnam (Koh Kong, Poipet, Savet, and Phnom Den), at Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh.
- Companies within the Special Economic Zones benefit from
incentives (revenue tax, customs, VAT
- Economic aid received: 989 million dollars in grants or concessional loans.
- Cambodian currency: Riel (KHR)
International Trade of Cambodia.
- The total value of import augmented by 21% (from 1.990 to 2,409
billion riels), compared to the same last year.
- The total value of export amount 1.045 million dollars, an augmented by 30.04% (from 804 million dollars, compared to same period last year) (Source: Customs and Excise Department)
- Top exports products of Cambodia: garments, shoes, cigarettes, natural rubber, rice, pepper, wood, and fish.
- Largest export markets of Cambodia: the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, Singapore, Japan, and Vietnam
- Top imports of Cambodia: fuels, cigarettes, vehicles, consumer products, and machinery.
- Top import partners of Cambodia: Thailand, Singapore, the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan, and the United States.
- Sihanoukville Autonomous Port is the only international seaport of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Cambodia.
- The Kingdom of Cambodia has opened its economy to
foreign direct investment in all sectors of the economy (banking, insurance, or telecommunications)
- Foreign investors in Cambodia are allowed to control 100% of the shareholding, without local participation
- The biggest foreign direct investment (FDI) comes from Korea, the People's Republic of China, Russia, Thailand, the United States, and Vietnam.
Cambodia's Free Trade Agreements (FTA) and Market Access:
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Cambodia is a member of the ASEAN Free Trade Area
and the ASEAN Economic Community
- Cambodia has Free Trade Agreements (as a member of the ASEAN) with China, India, the European Union, Japan, Korea, Russia, and the United States
- ASEAN (Cambodia)-Australia-New Zealand (Free Trade Area)
- Generalised System of Preferences (GSP)
- Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMECS)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
Cambodia is a member of:
- Mekong River Commission
- Asian Development Bank
- Economic Social Commission Asia-Pacific (ESCAP)
- Boao Forum for Asia
❮ Samples - Business in Cambodia ❯