The Kingdom of Cambodia is situated in South East Asia, sharing
borders with Thailand,
Laos, and Vietnam.
- 90% of the population of Cambodia
is ethnically Cambodian.
- Theravada Buddhism is the religion of 95% of the population.
Phnom Penh (2 million people) is the economic and
political center of Cambodia.
- Cambodia is member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Cambodia has accomplished high
economic growth (average of 9.4% annually). Manufacturing production is
focused in the garment sector, this products dominate exports of Cambodia, especially to the United States.
- The service sector is strongly concentrated in commerce activities and catering-related services.
International trade of Cambodia. In 3th quarter of 2010, the total value of import augmented by 21.03% (from 1.990 to 2.409
billion riels), compared to the same last year. Total value of export amount
1.045 million dollar, an augmented by 30.04% (from 804 million USD, compared to
same period last year) (Source: Customs and Excise
- Top exports products of Cambodia: garments, shoes, cigarettes,
natural rubber, rice, pepper, wood, fish.
- Major export markets of Cambodia: United States, Germany, United Kingdom,
- Top imports of Cambodia: fuels, cigarettes, vehicles, consumer products, machinery.
- Top import partners of Cambodia: Thailand,
Singapore, People's Republic of China,
Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan, United States.
- Economic aid received: USD 989 million in grants or concessional loans
The Kingdom of Cambodia has opened its economy for
Foreign direct investment (FDI)
in all sectors of the economy (banking, insurance, telecommunications ...).
Foreign investors in Cambodia are allowed to control 100% of the shareholding, (without local participation
Foreign direct investment (FDI) comes from Korea,
People's Republic of China, Russia, Thailand, the United States, and Vietnam.
Example of the course doing business in Cambodia:
The Royal Government of Cambodia has approved 21 Special Economic Zones
(SEZs) situated along the border with Thailand and Vietnam (Koh Kong, Poipet,
Savet, Phnom Den), at Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh. Companies within the Special Economic Zones
(SEZs) benefit from a number of fiscal
incentives (revenue tax, customs, VAT
The Sihanoukville Autonomous Port (PAS) is the only international seaport
of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Cambodia has Free trade agreements (FTAs of ASEAN) with:
Australia New Zealand,
Canada, People's Republic of China,
India, European Union,
Russia, United States,
Pakistan. Is beneficiary of European Union's Generalised System of Preferences (GSP)