Subject (Course): Regional Financial
Integration in Africa. Syllabus:
- Introduction to Regional financial integration in Africa
- Trends in African regional financial integration
- Case Study: the four largest African banking groups
- ECOBANK (Togo)
- United Bank for Africa (Nigeria)
- Standard Bank Group (South Africa)
- BMCE BANK Group (Morocco)
- Cross-border banking
- Mobile banking services
- Payment systems
- Risks from cross-border banking
- Case Study: Vodafone Money Transfer (M-PESA) in Africa
- Capital markets development
- Regional Financial infrastructure
- History of monetary cooperation in Africa
- Challenges of the CFA zone
- Case Study: Monetary Cooperation arrangements of the Regional Economic Communities (REC)
Sample of the subject - Financial Integration in Africa:
Subject Description (Regional
financial integration in Africa).
- In general, the financial systems in Africa are limited (both in capacity and size) and not fully regional integrated, this cause high transactions cost and elevated levels of risk.
- A right financial
infrastructure (legal framework, payment systems, credit registries...) can contribute to boosting intra-African trade and economic growth.
- One of the pillars of the African financial system is the Cross-border banking.
- The four largest Banks in Africa are ECOBANK (Togo), United Bank for Africa (Nigeria), Standard Bank Group (South Africa)
and the BMCE BANK Group (Morocco).
- M-PESA is a money transfer system launched by Vodafone; PESA means MONEY in Swahili.
- In Africa, M-PESA is operative in
Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique, Egypt and Lesotho.
- The JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) represents 65 percent of the total market capitalisation in Africa.
- The SADC (Southern African Development Community), the COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa), the WAEMU (West African Economic and Monetary Union), and the CEMAC (Economic and Monetary Community of Central Africa) are trying to harmonise their regional payment system.
Economic Area of the African Civilisation.
African Value Chains